Cover Letter's allow you to expand upon your CV achievements and skills relevant for the job you're applying for. This is your chance to show the employer why you're the best candidate for the position.
Keep your CV brief and your cover letter detailed - your cover letter must be tailored to the job that you’re applying for.
Introduction – Who are you? What is the job you are applying for?
Paragraph 2 – Why would you like to work for the company? Why are you interested in the job you are applying for?
Paragraph 3 – What makes you the strongest candidate? What skills and experience do you have for the job?
Conclusion - End the letter in the spirit of expectation, looking forward to the next stage of the recruitment process. Remember to include any practical details that may limit your availability such as examinations, holidays etc. You want to express yourself in an upbeat, sincere and enthusiastic way but don’t overdo the flattery! Imagine you are sat in front of the person you are wiring the letter to, what would you say to end the conversation?
- DO: Tailor your cover letter to the specific role - your cover letter must be tailored to the practice that you’re applying for, what can you bring to the practice?
- DO: Use your Cover letter to expand upon your CV – go into detail about your relevant experience and tell the employer why you’re perfect for the role.
- DO: Show the employer what you can offer – why are you different from other candidates?
- DO: Write about the employer – why do you want to work for that specific employer and what you could bring to the organisation
- DO: Keep it short and spaced out – the employer will be reading 100’s of cover letters, they only want to see half a page
- DON’T: Write robotically – try to be informal/formal, an employer wants to see your personality as well as your skills, this is an opportunity to tell the employer your story and what you’re about.
- DON’T: Draw attention to your weaknesses – focus on skills and success, keep your cover letter positive.
If you would like to talk to someone please contact our Optical team on 01423813452 or email email@example.com.